- Mission & Goals
- CIRTL Core Ideas
- Learning Outcomes
- CIRTL Network Institutions
- National Advisory Board
- Network Leaders
- News & Events
- CIRTL Café
- Chat Online
- Coffee Hour
- CIRTL Online Conference Room
- CIRTL Mailing List Sign-up
- Online Learning Communities
- RSS Feeds & Blogs
- Course Guidebooks
- Diversity Resources
- TAR Projects
- CIRTL Forums
Troubleshooting Video in Blackboard Collaborate
The solutions provided below have solved video issues encountered by other members of the CIRTL Network. If after following all of the steps below you still have problems transmitting your video, or if you need assistance with the troubleshooting steps, please contact Sami Kuray.
Close Webcam Software
Often webcams will install proprietary software that starts automatically when you plug them in or boot your computer. Before logging into Blackboard Collaborate, be sure that your computer is not actively running your webcam's software. This may mean closing an active window or closing an application in your computer's taskbar.
Clear the Java Cache
- Open the Control Panel
- XP users can click the icon labeled "Java" in the Control Panel.
Vista users can search the term "Java" in the Control Panel.
- In the Java configuration window, under "Temporary Internet Files," click the "Settings" button.
- Click the "Delete" button.
- Make sure "Applications and Applets" and "Trace and Log Files" are selcted and click "OK."
- Open Java Web Start (either via the icon on your desktop or in your Programs folder).
- Click on File then Preferences.
- Click on the Advanced tab.
- Click on the Clear Folder button, then click OK.
- Close the Java Web Start Application Manager.
When I try to Transmit or Preview video nothing happens, but it was working before. What can I do?
If you are having a problem with your video connection, follow the steps below to select the Video preference "Disconnect device when it is not in use" so the video device establishes a new connection for each use, rather than reopen an old connection.
- Open the Preferences dialog in one of the following ways:
- From the Edit menu, select Preferences… (Windows, Linux & Solaris)
- From the Blackboard Collaborate menu, select Edit menu, and select Preferences (Macintosh)
- Enter Ctrl+Comma (Windows, Linux & Solaris)
- Enter ⌘, (Macintosh)
- In the left pane of the Preferences dialog, select Audio / Video > Camera Settings. The Camera settings panel appears.
- Select the option Disconnect camera when it is not in use.
- Click on OK to save your preferences and close the Preferences dialog, Apply to save your preferences and leave the Preferences dialog open or Cancel to close the Preference dialog without saving any of your changes.
- When you configure Camera settings, Blackboard Collaborate will remember these settings each time you transmit video in this session or in future sessions.
"Cannot connect video source." What does this mean?
The error message you are getting is due to Blackboard Collaborate failing to capture the drivers for the web camera. This can happen for a few reasons:
- The drivers have not been initiated properly – make sure the drivers have been installed properly and restart your computer with the webcam plugged in.
- There is another application using the web camera drivers – right after restarting your computer log into Blackboard Collaborate without opening any other applications, especially the utility application for the web cam.
- The web camera is unsupported.